Studying physiological responses to high and low ambient pressures, exercise and altered temperatures can be used to improve the performance of divers and climbers, but also provide insight into the response to stress in clinical medicine. The FG Hall Environmental Laboratory contains a seven-chamber 254 cu m chamber complex that can simulate diving and altitude. This unique complex is the largest civilian environmental facility in the country. The chambers can be compressed to 110 atmospheres (3,600 feet of sea water) and decompressed to simulate altitude exposure to 100,000 feet. A surface exercise laboratory provides measurement of maximum oxygen uptake and ventilatory chemosensitivity. Measurement of blood gases, lactate and hemoglobin can be performed at the surface and inside the chamber. Mass spectrometry provides on-line measurement of mixed expired and end-tidal carbon dioxide and oxygen, with lab based gas chromatography. A temperature-controlled pool is available for head-out immersed or fully submersed exercise. Transthoracic echocardiography can be performed during immersed exercise. Human studies can be performed at altitude or depth with invasive measurement of arterial and pulmonary arterial pressures, transcranial Doppler blood velocity, precordial Doppler monitoring for vascular bubbles, EEG and in vivo near infrared spectroscopy. Also on the premises is an exercise testing facility. Dr. Piantadosi’s laboratory is adjacent, and can process tissue specimens for analysis of histology, molecular pathway markers and activity, and gene expression and activation. An electronics shop and machine shop provide in-house design and construction facilities. The FG Hall Laboratory is within Duke Medical Center, with access to hospital labs, radiology and MR imaging.
Richard Vann, PhD
- Bartz RR, Suliman HB, Piantadosi CA. Redox mechanisms of cardiomyocyte mitochondrial protection. Front Physiol. 2015;6:291.
- Chang AL, Ulrich A, Suliman HB, Piantadosi CA. Redox regulation of mitophagy in the lung during murine Staphylococcus aureus sepsis. Free Radic Biol Med. 2015;78:179-89.
- Cherry AD, Piantadosi CA. Regulation of mitochondrial biogenesis and its intersection with inflammatory responses. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2015;22(12):965-76.
- Clarke JR, Moon RE, Chimiak JM, Stinton R, Van Hoesen KB, Lang MA. Don’t dive cold when you don’t have to. Diving Hyperb Med. 2015;45(1):62.
- Doolette DJ, Upton RN, Grant C. Altering blood flow does not reveal differences between nitrogen and helium kinetics in brain or in skeletal muscle in sheep. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2015;118(5):586-94.
- Fredenburgh LE, Kraft BD, Hess DR, Harris RS, Wolf MA, Suliman HB, Roggli VL, Davies JD, Winkler T, Stenzler A, Baron RM, Thompson BT, Choi AM, Welty-Wolf KE, Piantadosi CA. Effects of inhaled CO administration on acute lung injury in baboons with pneumococcal pneumonia. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2015;309(8):L834-46.
- Gasier HG, Demchenko IT, Allen BW, Piantadosi CA. Effects of striatal nitric oxide production on regional cerebral blood flow and seizure development in rats exposed to extreme hyperoxia. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2015;119(11):1282-8.
- Mitchell SJ, Doolette DJ. Pathophysiology of inner ear decompression sickness: potential role of the persistent foramen ovale. Diving Hyperb Med. 2015;45(2):105-10.
- Moon RE. Oxygen in acute illness: more or less? Crit Care Med. 2015;43(7):1547-8.
- Peacher DF, Martina SD, Otteni CE, Wester TE, Potter JF, Moon RE. Immersion pulmonary edema and comorbidities: case series and updated review. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2015;47(6):1128-34.
- Pecorella SR, Potter JV, Cherry AD, Peacher DF, Welty-Wolf KE, Moon RE, Piantadosi CA, Suliman HB. The HO-1/CO system regulates mitochondrial-capillary density relationships in human skeletal muscle. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2015;309(8):L857-71.
- Pendergast DR, Moon RE, Krasney JJ, Held HE, Zamparo P. Human physiology in an aquatic environment. Compr Physiol. 2015;5(4):1705-50.
- Doolette DJ. Venous gas emboli detected by two-dimensional echocardiography are an imperfect surrogate endpoint for decompression sickness. Diving Hyperb Med. 2016;46(1):4-10.
- Freiberger JJ, Derrick BJ, Natoli MJ, Akushevich I, Schinazi EA, Parker C, Stolp BW, Bennett PB, Vann RD, Dunworth SA, Moon RE. Assessment of the interaction of hyperbaric N2, CO2, and O2 on psychomotor performance in divers. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2016;121(4):953-64.
- Hull TD, Boddu R, Guo L, Tisher CC, Traylor AM, Patel B, Joseph R, Prabhu SD, Suliman HB, Piantadosi CA, Agarwal A, George JF. Heme oxygenase-1 regulates mitochondrial quality control in the heart. JCI Insight. 2016;1(2):e85817.
- Kraft BD, Suliman HB, Colman EC, Mahmood K, Hartwig MG, Piantadosi CA, Shofer SL. Hypoxic Gene Expression of Donor Bronchi Linked to Airway Complications after Lung Transplantation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2016;193(5):552-60.
- Lance RM, Moon RE, Crisafulli M, Bass CR. Did the crew of the submarine H.L. Hunley suffocate? Forensic Sci Int. 2016;260:59-65.
- Mollerlokken A, Blogg SL, Doolette DJ, Nishi RY, Pollock NW. Consensus guidelines for the use of ultrasound for diving research. Diving Hyperb Med. 2016;46(1):26-32.
- Moon RE, Martina SD, Peacher DF, Kraus WE. Deaths in triathletes: immersion pulmonary oedema as a possible cause. BMJ Open Sport Exerc Med. 2016;2(1):e000146.
- Moon RE, Martina SD, Peacher DF, Potter JF, Wester TE, Cherry AD, Natoli MJ, Otteni CE, Kernagis DN, White WD, Freiberger JJ. Swimming-induced pulmonary edema: pathophysiology and risk reduction with sildenafil. Circulation. 2016;133(10):988-96.
- Suliman HB, Piantadosi CA. Mitochondrial quality control as a therapeutic target. Pharmacol Rev. 2016;68(1):20-48.
- Suliman HB, Zobi F, Piantadosi CA. Heme Oxygenase-1/Carbon Monoxide System and Embryonic Stem Cell Differentiation and Maturation into Cardiomyocytes. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2016;24(7):345-60.
- Bennett-Guerrero E, Lockhart EL, Bandarenko N, Campbell ML, Natoli MJ, Jamnik VK, Carter TR, Moon RE. A randomized controlled pilot study of VO2 max testing: a potential model for measuring relative in vivo efficacy of different red blood cell products. Transfusion (Paris). 2016 [Epub ahead of print].
- Ceponis PJ, Fox W, Tailor TD, Hurwitz LM, Amrhein TJ, Moon RE. Non-dysbaric arterial gas embolism associated with chronic necrotizing pneumonia, bullae and coughing. Undersea Hyperb Med 2016 (accepted for publication).
- Dunworth SA, Natoli MJ, Cooter M, Cherry AD, Peacher DF, Potter JF, Wester TE, Freiberger JJ, Moon RE. Hypercapnia in diving: A review of the mechanism, measurement and effects of carbon dioxide retention during immersed exercise at depth. Undersea Hyperb Med, 2016 (accepted for publication).