Duke Anesthesiology recognizes the gap and common impediments to the development of URM physician-scientists. We are initiating a Postdoctoral Fellowship in Clinical Research and Biostatistics for URM junior faculty.
The fellowship will be for a minimum of 12 months after residency/fellowship training. The rationale is to introduce young URM physicians to clinical research and to provide the foundation that is often missing or inadequate for development and advancement as a clinician/scientist—a need present for the majority of young physicians, including those who identify as a URM. Up to two qualifying applicants will be accepted annually.
In brief, this postdoctoral program will involve:
- An application process as part of the “pipeline” process and in concert with the ICDA. URM residents and fellows who are already under the guidance of the ICDA will be encouraged to pursue the MFDP.
- Matching of selected applicant and senior mentor(s) based on common areas of interest
- Enrollment in a Biostatistics and Epidemiology Master’s Program
- Participation in and completion of a Clinical Research Protocol
- Participation in and completion of a Grant Application Training
- Fulfill ONE day per week of clinical duties as a Junior Attending (this responsibility is required, and will be the source of salary support for the MFDP).
The salary support will be $70,000 per year, derived from a clinical commitment of one day per week. Additionally, the department will support indirect costs to include benefits, malpractice insurance, and costs related to required educational expenses, such as the biostatistics and epidemiology classes.