Dear Duke Anesthesiology friends and family,
We would like to thank everyone for making Duke Anesthesiology’s 25th Annual ASA Alumni Reception in San Francisco, CA a success. Our cruise reception was held on the San Francisco Spirit, where our guests were greeted by Duke friends and family along with a glass of champagne to commemorate the special occasion. From there, guests enjoyed passed hors d’oeuvres while taking in the many breathtaking sites on the San Francisco Bay, including Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge.
The evening culminated with exciting presentations including the unveiling of our newly launched Department of Anesthesiology website and Transformative Education portal, release of our 2013 BluePrint publication, announcement of our 2014 DREAM Innovation Grant (DIG) recipients, our annual raffle giveaway, and a preview of our new resident recruitment video.
As we plan for next year’s Duke ASA Alumni Reception in New Orleans, LA, we would value your feedback on what you’d like to see at the event or a venue you would like to recommend. Please make your recommendations here!
Thank you again for your support to Duke Anesthesiology! Below are a few highlights from this year’s ASA. We look forward to celebrating with you again next year in New Orleans!
Elizabeth Perez, RN, BSN
Highlights of Duke at the ASA*
1. 86 abstracts and presentations submitted by 115 Duke Faculty and Staff. List of presentations and presenters can be viewed here!
2. Andrew Shaw, MB; Thomas Van de Ven, MD; Alex Kieber, BS; John Hsia, MD; Nick Grissom, BS; Thomas Buchheit, MD; David MacLeod, MB; Mary McDuffie, RN; and Chester Buckenmaier, MD, earned “ASA Best of Abstracts” for “Whole Exome Sequencing Identifies Novel Genetic Variants in Amputees With Persistent Residual Limb Pain.” Click here to learn more!
3. For the third year in a row, Duke Anesthesiology finished first out of 24 teams at the ASA Run for the Warriors 5K Race. Together we raised: $9,300.00 and had a total of 43 runners and donors!
-Miles Berger, MD, PhD, for his study, “Determination of the Role of Alzheimer’s Disease Pathways in Post-Operative Cognitive Dysfunction.”
– Thomas J. Van de Ven, MD, PhD, for his study, “The role of FXR, TGR5 and the Bile Acid Pathway in the Prevention and Treatment of Chronic Post-Nerve Injury Pain.”
– Zhiquan Zhang, PhD, for his study, “Sirtuin-3 Modulation of acetylation in the treatment of perioperative myocardial reperfusion injury.”
5. 126 guests at the Duke ASA Alumni Reception aboard the San Francisco Grand Spirit
6. Congratulations to our Facebook fan winner, Dinesh Kurian, MD, for winning the signed Duke Men’s Basketball. Want a chance to win next year? Like us on Facebook today!
7. ASA At-a-Glance mobile app had 492 visits since its launch
9. Release of our 2013 BluePrint Publication (stay tuned, our media-rich BluePrint publication will be released soon!)
10. Enjoy photos taken at this year’s ASA Alumni Reception here
*A special thanks to all of the faculty who stayed behind to cover the OR’s so that others could attend the ASA. In addition, thank you to all of the staff who made the ASA Alumni Reception possible including: Tiffany Nickel, Cheryl Stetson, Melinda Macalino, Adam Hartz, Chris Keith, and Jack Newman.